Broker or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broker or Not?

Looking to purchase a trawler soon and wondering if a broker is better to make the search or should I get out there myself to find what I want? Thanks for any input.

A good buyers broker will keep you from making a mistake. The buyers broker shares the commission with the selling broker costs you nothing. Brokers are so used to tire kickers that they will paint a rosy picture over the phone and then see if you show up. When they are approached by a broker it’s professional curtesy not to waste each other’s time. Brokers are much more honest with each other.

If you contact a selling broker before your broker makes contact, you have effectively cut him out, so let your broker make the contact. You can discuss boats you have found on craig’s List, Boat Trade, and Yachtworld but let your broker make the contacts.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

A good broker can save you both money as well as making possible mistakes. A good broker can also help with financing, insurance, inspections, and sea trials. Listen to them, but understand that you are the one making the final decision.
      Destiny
      Bayliner 5288
      Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

I'll just add that we should understand that a sellers broker AND a buyers broker are both compensated by getting the maximum sales price for a vessel. It's kind of counter intuitive that someone working for you is looking to get you to pay the most they can get you to pay. Use all resources such as BoatUS, BUCValu and NADA to more fully understand true market values. This is good practice for both buying and selling a boat.
        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655 5.7L B3
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
        X