Cruising solo for first time.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruising solo for first time.

Last summer I moved aboard. With the big change I didn’t go on any really long cruises. It was an adjustment period to say the least.

We are now starting our cruising season in this part of Alaska and I’m preparing for my first solo long distance cruise.

I have operated my boat single handed many times. I am comfortable with docking, etc...

What I am not used to doing is cruising long distances alone yet.

So...

My first long distance voyage alone will be from Seward to Cordova Alaska. The distance is around 160NM each way. One night at anchor minimum each way.

I leave on Saturday morning the plan is to spend a week cruising, and explor the town of Cordova Alaska
    Kevin Sanders
    Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
    Map where I am right now
    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Four days coming and going. Hope you have more than a long weeked.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Thanks! I’ve got two weeks, but I have to be somewhere for mothers day in the middle. I can easily leave the boat in Cordova and just fly back if I want. The plan is to do it in a week, but I’ll just have to see.

I’ve only been to Cordova once, long over a decade ago, and that was just to get fuel. I’ve been wanting to explore the town.

This is a big step. Not in boat handling, that is pretty easy. This is a big mental step for me.

I retire either in spring 2020, or 2021. Right now I am negotiating with my employer to go part time in 2020, even though I only work 135 days a year on my “full time” shift. I am looking at reducing that number to maybe half or two thirds. This will allow me several great benefits, and the time I need to explore.

I had set up my/our lives to take off and go cruising at retirement. That is all changed now that it is just me going cruising. Big mental step on my own but one I am looking very much forward to.
      Kevin Sanders
      Map where I am right now

Comment

I solo most of the time. You need to be careful especially in the ocean. I am exceedingly careful on deck. I avoid going on deck except to anchor. The cruising is just long watches. Because I have a wood boat and all the logs and other debris in the water, I try to run in daylight. Easy to do in Alaska this time of year. Have someone you check in with during the trip. That way the CG has a better chance of finding you.
        Lot different since the 1964 uplifting. I use to leave Cordova and go south thru Orca Inlet any time with a big boat but now only at high tide.

Comment

I have done a lot of solo trips...sail and power...

CREATURE COMFORTS is the key...! ! ! You have to eat, drink, use the head, prepare sandwich, get another water, use the head again, etc...

You either need to prepare for all your needs close by or stop and do your business...

The mental part is pretty easy...keep yourself busy, turn on the radio/sirius/Pandora, etc... play with a new instrument, go through some old manuals, sing-along with the music (nobody will hear you), stand for a while, sit...shine a stainless part...better yet, find an old green brass part and clean it with a toothbrush...

And then there's go over charts, try that shelf sextant that's been collecting dust, compare heading to COG, play with settings you haven't used in a while...play with some formulas you haven't used in a while...motor over to some bad weather just for haha's...

...but most importantly, prepare your creature comfort needs...

1988 '38 "Liberty"
          Cummins 6BT'S 210hp
          Navigating Raritan Bay

Comment

well, as another part of my solo cruising preparations I now have a SPOT tracker

Pretty cool device!

Here is a link to the public page

Kevin Sanders
            Map where I am right now

Comment

Kevin, Assuming you have an auto pilot system on board, the journey can be relaxing. When the admiral and I brought the boat up the coast, I did not have a crew. While we did plan on traveling during the daylight hours, I spent most of my time at the helm, on watch for whales and other sea life. There was some boat traffic like fishermen and larger fishing boats, but never a problem. As long as you are prepared, and have the necessary safety items, should be a piece of cake. Enjoy your journey!

PS: At some point I would like to pick your brain on adding some boat security. Sounds like your the guy!
              Destiny
              Bayliner 5288
              Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

Have a nice, safe trip Kevin, Will be watching your progress.

Comment

Thanks you guys, I am underway and right now having smooth seas and a cup of coffee

Kevin Sanders
                  Map where I am right now

Comment

Had a Great first day! Made it to Rocky bay by dark and already under way at 0500 so that I can make it t Cordova before the wind picks up to Gale force this afternoon.

Breeze is only about 10 knots right now :-) Will post lots of photos from Cordova

Here’s my spot page if anybody is interested

Kevin Sanders
                    Map where I am right now

Comment

Looks like you are making some good time. Glad everything is going smoothly.

Comment

If I'm reading the spot map correctly, you arrived in Cordova yesterday 5/5 at about 2:45pm? Did you then shut off the unit?
                        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655 5.7L B3
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeman View Post
                          If I'm reading the spot map correctly, you arrived in Cordova yesterday 5/5 at about 2:45pm? Did you then shut off the unit?
                          That’s correct, although I think thetime is off. I remember having lunch at 1:30 at the Reluctant Fisherman so I think i arrived at 1230 or thereabouts Alaskan time.

The Spot unit is still running and the little tracker light is blinking. I have it set up in “docking” mode specifically for boats, RV’s etc... If I do not move 200 feet it does not continue to send out updates, so the screen does not get flooded.
                          Kevin Sanders
                          Map where I am right now

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

That’s correct, although I think thetime is off. I remember having lunch at 1:30 at the Reluctant Fisherman so I think i arrived at 1230 or thereabouts Alaskan time.

The Spot unit is still running and the little tracker light is blinking. I have it set up in “docking” mode specifically for boats, RV’s etc... If I do not move 200 feet it does not continue to send out updates, so the screen does not get flooded.
                            Got it. Nice tool.
                            1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655 5.7L B3
                            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                            X