Morro Bay California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morro Bay California

Hello, finding this site that is exclusive to liveaboards was very interesting. My wife and I have lived aboard since 1979 - Our 41' ketch 'Saoirse', has been our residence while in our working years and cruising years. My wife and I liveaboard on the west coast of California and, after all these years, continues to love the lifestyle. After my retirement in 2000, we cruised and lived in Mexico for 2-1/2 years before returning home.. We are now settled in Morro Bay CA. (Truly, the best City and harbor for liveaboards) We purchased an off-shore mooring and call the bay our home. I worked in the marine industry for many years (recreational marine products company) and after retirement and cruising have just retired from my second life as a Marine Surveyor. Love the idea of this site and hope to contribute. STILL, living the dream...

I stopped in Moro Bay to buy fuel. I didn’t have any time in my schedule so I couldn’t stay. I really liked what I saw and it’s on my list of great places to overnight.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

I REALLY like Morro Bay. It is just the right size. Will be spending some time there in my travels!
      Kevin Sanders
      Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
      Map where I am right now
      https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

What do mean you purchased a mooring offshore? How does that work exactly?

Comment

• dgreg
          dgreg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi michel... The City of Morro Bay Ca.- through the Harbor Dept. controls 125 moorings, approximately 75 of those are privately owned and can be sold/purchased (around $20k to 30k). Morro Bay is a wonderful harbor with a fishing village feel and good protection from wind and seas. Having lived aboard for many years we prefer offshore living rather than dockside living. Although there are 50 liveaboard permits available, only around 35 liveaboards at any one time seems to be the rule ion Morro Bay. We have been onboard in Morro Bay since the early 2000's. The Harbor Department is excellent and is supportive of our community. The moorings are required to be pulled and inspected every couple of years and are well protected from heavy ocean weather by a 1/4 mile wide sand spit. Sitting in a protected bird sanctuary, Morro Bay is a flyway for transiting birds and a protected area for the many sea otters, sea lions and occasional dolphin visiting the boats. Our boat is set up for offshore living with all the conveniences of marina living boats - Powerful solar provides all the energy needed. Hope this helps...

Thanks for that dgerg. It does help a lot actually. if all goes well ill be taking a trip down this summer with my wife and get a feel for all the options available. This is a new one and is very interesting as well. we are fully setup for offshore living so its a possibility. what is the difference between buying a mooring and just setting up anchor? Im guessing first they simply dont allow it, or there is not much space, or pehaps its fairly deep spot? Does it provide a place to for your tender ehen you want to come asshore? And finnaly is there a nearby beach to walk on? Sorry for the questions, but ive only driven through the area and things are never quite as expected .

Comment

Ok just looked at the map a bit closer, and frankly, that is the absolute perfect location! It is just far enought north of santa monica(were i lived for a year) were the land has tons of character and population density is low enought to be pleasent, and the canyon roads easy access. Just need to get to know the village and it seems real nice. Much better than SD for my character, thanks dgreg for putting that on my radar.

Comment

Michel, You are correct, Morro Bay is an "absolute perfect location".. We pulled in after years of living and working while living onboard on the San Francisco/Sausalito waterfront - Great sailing but way too crowded and, ground zero during the mid eighties when the BCDC began to stick their nose into liveaboard politics. You can rent a mooring for around $250/month with an additional city charge of $20/month (if you can find one for rent/lease). The City (10,436 population) has a great small town feel and a short ride to San Luis Obispo and the beach town of Pismo Beach. Morro Bay is that very rare community (because of it's rich fishing history) that supports and accepts liveaboards. You have miles of sand spit/beach to walk.. There are areas for anchoring but long term, you want a mooring.. There are several marinas that offer dock space or moorings for rent but you need to contact them directly, introduce yourself, get their confidence and perhaps the marina will allow you to liveaboard. If you do find a mooring for rent or sale, the City allows you to use city docks for dink tie-up. My Best....

Comment

A few photos of Morro Bay Harbor..

Comment

Thanks greg, ill trymy best to put my best foot forward when i go down and see how i make out.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreg View Post
                  Michel, You are correct, Morro Bay is an "absolute perfect location".. We pulled in after years of living and working while living onboard on the San Francisco/Sausalito waterfront - Great sailing but way too crowded and, ground zero during the mid eighties when the BCDC began to stick their nose into liveaboard politics. You can rent a mooring for around $250/month with an additional city charge of $20/month (if you can find one for rent/lease). The City (10,436 population) has a great small town feel and a short ride to San Luis Obispo and the beach town of Pismo Beach. Morro Bay is that very rare community (because of it's rich fishing history) that supports and accepts liveaboards. You have miles of sand spit/beach to walk.. There are areas for anchoring but long term, you want a mooring.. There are several marinas that offer dock space or moorings for rent but you need to contact them directly, introduce yourself, get their confidence and perhaps the marina will allow you to liveaboard. If you do find a mooring for rent or sale, the City allows you to use city docks for dink tie-up. My Best....
                  I can tell you that having spent a few days in Morro Bay (not by boat) that it’s a really cool place, and one that is almost perfect for someone that enjoys a small town feel to things.

It’s a place that I will certainly be spending more time at, as part of my north-south migration.
                  Kevin Sanders
                  Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
                  Map where I am right now
                  https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Our stayover in Morro Bay while on or trip north by boat was wonderful! We have been there several time by car, and enjoyed the area. We are looking forward to a return trip!
                    Destiny
                    Bayliner 5288
                    Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X