Shutoff Valves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutoff Valves

When we got to the boat 2 weeks ago the kitchen faucet was leaking badly at the cartridge. I went under the counter to close the shutoff valves and to my surprise there were none. Consequently we could not turn on the water pump until I managed to locate a replacement cartridge. Is this common on boats? At home all my faucets have shutoff valves so as to facilitate repairs or replacement.

Yes, my boat had zero shut off valves. I’ve been adding them as i work on that system.

Even worse my kitchen used 1/2” NPS, yep National Pipe Straight. Problem is that modern house faucets use 3/8 compression fittings. I cut out the NPs stuff, put in a 1/2 NPT fitting, and bought a regular NPT-3/8 compression valve
    Kevin Sanders
    Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
    Map where I am right now
    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

There is no need for a shut off valve, you just flip the breaker and the water is shut off. Unlike a home we’re you would have to run out to the street if there were no shut off valves in the house.
      Azzurra
      Seattle, WA
      Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Originally posted by Tiltrider1 View Post
        There is no need for a shut off valve, you just flip the breaker and the water is shut off. Unlike a home we’re you would have to run out to the street if there were no shut off valves in the house.
        Titlrider1, The problem with that is once you shut the pump off you have zero water to your boat. As in the case of Bob, he has a leaky faucet, the two choices while he fixes it, are to shut the water off completely, or let the water drain out of his tank. I have been adding valves anytime I work on something, The only fixture left is the galley sink. I understand why boat builders did not add them, I am sure it was both a cost and access issue. If you do not live on your boat it is not as critical.
        Scott Jones
        Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
        Liveaboard Start Date 1/May/16

Comment

I was just reiterating the boat builders philosophy. Truthfully, I have never really needed a shut off valve. Yes, there has been a time or two it would have been convenient. I see no problem with adding them for convenience.
          Azzurra
          Seattle, WA
          Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Just today (one handed) I replaced a faucet in a head of a nearby boat. Simple, shut off the pressure pump. Then disconnect cold and hot water hoses (labeling same), finally the install the new one. Only had to re-tighten the cold water (once) and shower part (twice) so consider that a victory.

I know Seaweed doesn't have any shut-off's anywhere. I never even considered that a thing.
            Do you have two valves? One for cold and one for hot water? Or?? Just curious how /where you put this in your system.

Comment

Originally posted by SPJ8864 View Post

Titlrider1, The problem with that is once you shut the pump off you have zero water to your boat. As in the case of Bob, he has a leaky faucet, the two choices while he fixes it, are to shut the water off completely, or let the water drain out of his tank. I have been adding valves anytime I work on something, The only fixture left is the galley sink. I understand why boat builders did not add them, I am sure it was both a cost and access issue. If you do not live on your boat it is not as critical.
              Exactly right SPJ8864, It took me a day and a half to source the faucet cartridge and install it during which time we had no water pressure. With a shutoff there would be pressure in the washrooms and elsewhere.

Comment

Have many of you incorporated PEX plumbing in you vessel?
                Does it meet ABYC or USCG requirements?
                John Shade
                1986 Marinette 39 Sedan
                twin 454 Crusaders 350 HP
                Ohio & Muskingum Rivers

Comment

I am in Canada so don't know about US regs but have no PEX in my boat but certainly would consider using it if it is allowed up north. It's best feature for up north is it does not burst as easily when freezing.

Comment

PEX is easy to work with and inexpensive. I replaced a check valve over the weekend with PEX as that was all that was available in my area. Our marina let me barrow their tools. They use PEX throughout the marina facilities.
                    John Shade
                    1986 Marinette 39 Sedan
                    Ohio & Muskingum Rivers

Comment

My Bayliner was built using Whale pipe and fittings.

Whale is like PEX, just metric, and they have an assortment of fittings that work like Shark Bite fittings in that you slip them on and they never ever leak.

I love it! Great system.
                      Kevin Sanders
                      Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
                      Map where I am right now
                      https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                        My Bayliner was built using Whale pipe and fittings.
                        Whale is like PEX, just metric, and they have an assortment of fittings that work like Shark Bite fittings in that you slip them on and they never ever leak.
                        I love it! Great system.
                        Is that the gray water lines and fittings? My Bayliner and my Marinettes have had that.

John Shade
                        1986 Marinette 39 Sedan
                        Ohio & Muskingum Rivers

Comment

Working...
                        X