Electrical issue, converting to a single 50A shore power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical issue, converting to a single 50A shore power

I got a call from a friend the other day...

He is a liveaboard and wants to convert his boat from a dual 30A shore power setup to a single 50A 120/240 4 wire and possibly add a isolation transformer.

What are your thoughts on how to accomplish this???

Here is what I recommended.

He replace his two 30A shore power breakers with 50A, wring each one to a hot leg

Jumper his neutral buss bars together and tie that to neutral on his new shore power connector

Jumper his ground buss bars together and tie that to the ground on his shore power.

do all this using 6 AWG wire.

Did I miss anything?????

Thanks!
    Kevin Sanders
    Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
    Map where I am right now
    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Yes in theory that should do it. I didn’t look up my gauge Gide but i’m Assuming you have and that’s how you got 6 AWG wire. Also make sure you remove all wiring to the 30a sockets. I like adding a blue seas 3119 surface mount breaker box. This covers all my buss needs and gives me ELCI protection
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Around here, there are places with just 30A power. I'm wondering why a person might want to do this, and potentially have zero power versus one leg only supplied. I have never worked on a 50A boat, so I'm a total neophyte (and unlikely to ever mess with one though I am curious)

Thanks!

Comment

You can always put a 50a 125/250 to 30a adapter on your cord when you only find 30a power. I have adapters for every option 50a 125v, 30a, 20a, 15a.
        Azzurra
        Seattle, WA
        Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

I called Kevin, Dave. Finally got around to getting the change completed. In my case, I had the Blue Seas 3119 box, but was popping the ELCI in the box due to internal wiring.

I elected to go with the isolation transformer after talking with Kevin, and made the change to 50A at the same time.

Mission accomplished. Not having to do the amp dance is fantastic!
          USCG 100 ton master and marine insurance expert at large!

Comment

Originally posted by Pau Hana View Post
            I called Kevin, Dave. Finally got around to getting the change completed. In my case, I had the Blue Seas 3119 box, but was popping the ELCI in the box due to internal wiring.

I elected to go with the isolation transformer after talking with Kevin, and made the change to 50A at the same time.

Mission accomplished. Not having to do the amp dance is fantastic!
            That s fantastic, glad it’s working!
            Kevin Sanders
            Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
            Map where I am right now
            https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

That s fantastic, glad it’s working!
              All your fault, brother!

Appreciate the assist!
              USCG 100 ton master and marine insurance expert at large!

Comment

Peter, if you were popping the breaker on the 3119 ELIC box, it means something on the boat is wired wrong. Changing to an isolation transformer doesn’t fix the problem. You have eliminated stray DC current issues and water electrocution issues but you still have AC current returning on a ground wire instead of a neutral wire. The danger of this is unknown but at some point you need to go through your neutrals and fix the problem to be completely safe.

isolation transformers are certainly a step up from an ELIC box and a galvanic isolater
                Azzurra
                Seattle, WA
                Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Working...
                X