Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Gulf coast of Florida.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from the Gulf coast of Florida.

I'm working on escaping the terrestrial lifestyle to become a liveaboard. I served in the Navy back in the Reagan era on a Trident submarine out of Bangor Washington. But I've been off and on on boats since I was young.

I work as a kayak nature guide for an Eco tour company in Fort Myers Florida, though I'm also a writer and artist. For a long time I've been looking into building a houseboat.

The original plan was a pontoon boat, but fortunes sometimes shift and I wound up getting an older boat that was well kept and maintained by only one owner. The hull and transom are in excellent shape.

So the boat is a 1984 Proline Walkabout Cuddy. A 23' boat without a motor (which is perfect for me since I am putting in a unique propulsion and power system). I'm converting this boat into a 24'+ houseboat.

It's been a lot of work so far but I'm enjoying it. I have a long way to go before the vessel is ready for its final destination in the water. This boat (once completed) will be the world's first electromagnetic powered and propelled houseboat.

It's clean, quiet, efficient, and produces endless free electricity. There are no props to tear up grass flats or harm manatees or dolphins, and it's super inexpensive to operate and maintain. I'm setting up a small back up wind and solar harvesting system for when the primary system is being serviced or the generator lubricated.

There is so much to do yet. But the build is progressing steadily. I removed the 50 gallon gas tank and will be replacing it with a plastic water tank, which is one of many projects I am working on. Fabrication will be fun. Or just hot... LOL.

I've been learning a great deal by talking with folks who are liveaboards or reading blogs, pages, posts, and forums by or for these same people.

There are some really nice boats you guys have here. I've been looking at some of your pictures. I hope to contribute some images of my boat (Aquatica) once the build is complete or close to it.

Great to be on this site. Best wishes to all of you! Cheers!

Erik.

Welcome aboard! Please post photos of your project!!
    Kevin Sanders
    Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
    Map where I am right now
    https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

I'll be happy to do so. I have the entire project on a page on Facebook titled "Aquatica the world's first electromagnetic houseboat."

These first images are from the ad that I bought the boat from.

Cheers and thank you for welcoming me!

- Erik
      Attached Files

Comment

Another one.
        Attached Files

Comment

One more. These were from Craig's list.
          Attached Files

Comment

So I cleaned up all the pine needles and insect hitchhikers, then removed the seats, then the cabin and control console.
            Attached Files

Comment

I pulled out the gas tank. I'm replacing it with a 50 gallon plastic freshwater tank which will also tie in to my rainwater harvesting system. I'll fabricate the tank myself as it is more cost effective than ordering from a manufacturer. Plus I want to include baffles to minimize sloshing, water shifts, and strain on the tank.

Attached Files

Comment

I discovered after the fact that the boat decks are a bit skewed and taper as well. I had to adjust for this once I started putting down the subflooring.

​​​​​​​
                Attached Files

Comment

Each step in the build is a learning process. Who knows? When I complete this it might actually look like I knew what I was doing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2196.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2067Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2208.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2068

Comment

I'm going to be finishing the base floor next then doing the floor hatches, and the bow deck braces.

Name:	KIMG2223.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2070

Comment

Back floor base is complete.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Name:	KIMG2231.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2110A better view of that back base with hatch openings.

Comment

Nice job on the rebuild. Keep us posted.

Comment

Thank you. I will.

Comment

A few more progress shots of the Aquatica build.

Name:	KIMG2291.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2481

Name:	KIMG2288.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2482

Name:	KIMG2294.JPG