From the Arizona desert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Arizona desert

I am a wanna be at this point. Land locked in the desert of Arizona, called Phoenix. I have a 27' Express Cruiser that I trailer to local lakes, I have had 3 other vessels mostly in the PNW. My first was a '19 Bayliner Cuddy. Retirement is rolling up to my station in life soon. Being surrounded by liquid is an appealing option.

While I have lived in the Puget Sound for a decade back in the 1980s, the body of fresh water that has my fancy at the moment is the Tombigbee River. Locating to this water gives me access to salt water with a fresh water home port. Real Estate is cheap there so plan I am considering is to sell my AZ properties around retirement and be in the water more or less full time with a land based small home on that river.

Very much in the beginning stages of "what if" and how can it be made to happen.

Action

Sometimes you have to consider all the options, both positive and negative, and if things look positive, make it happen. Waiting for things to be perfect, may not happen, so give it your best shot, and make it work. Good luck, and Keep The Dream Alive!
    Destiny
    Bayliner 5288
    Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

I'm looking at that general area also. About 3 years from now...
      John Shade
      1986 Marinette 39 Sedan
      twin 454 Crusaders 350 HP
      Ohio & Muskingum Rivers

Comment

The trick is to as ken posted, keep the dream alive. Make plans, and let those plans morph into what becomes reality for you.

Every adventure started with a dream at some point.
        Kevin Sanders
        Bayliner 4788 Seward, Alaska
        Map where I am right now
        https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

I am in the same "boat" as shade2u2.

About a year ago I saw some website about the Loop and that kind of hooked me into a research mode. Since I am a bit far away from that water (or really any big water) I would like to do this after I give up working for a job. My wife seems to be on board with that. So the endless search has been on. I keep picking up tid bits. Likely will rent a trawler to get a feel for that. I have operated a 39' vessel in Florida of a friend of mine for a few days. Learned how skinny water is over in that part of the world.

Comment

River trips are much like a country drive. There aren't many weather safety concerns as on the ocean or great lakes.
            Trawlers seem to be the most popular for the Great Loop, but it's done with all kinds of vessels. Fuel economy can be of some concern as you're looking at 5,500 to 7,500 miles depending on which route options you take. I have a friend doing it right now in a 32' Marinette Flybridge Sedan. They are in the gulf this week.
            John Shade
            1986 Marinette 39 Sedan
            twin 454 Crusaders 350 HP
            Ohio & Muskingum Rivers

Comment

Regarding the Loop, if I may? PLEASE when you start out make sure it is all Easy waters. I watched a couple do a fabulous interior rebuild of a boat only to take her out along Lake Michigan within a month of being underway. It was rough, horrible, scary debacle. Shortly after making landfall the boat was for sale. A dream crushed.

IF however the couple had paid to have their boat shipped (or delivered) all would have been well in my view. They would have developed experience before the scary parts come up.

In Florida, those crossing the Gulf of Mexico on occasion hire a captain to move the boat for them. An experienced fellow (or gal/couple) can provide instruction, and backbone for those learning how to navigate far from shore. I recommend it! The price is negligible and if it saves a couple's cruise it is well worth the price.

More than once I've seen boats reach Tarpon Springs or Tampa and immediately go for sale. It's a shame. And often, a preventable mistake. Be nice to your partner and respectful of fears.

The river system is a great place to develop confidence. And that area (the Tombigbee) has great marina prices from my understanding.

All the best, and do follow your dreams. It's great out here.

Comment

Working...
              X