Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Massachusetts

Hi Forum,

Not NEW to boating.... Grew-up around / on the water. Dad & I spent a lot of memorable times on our boat, Fishing, Clamming, staying overnight.
    Got away from it due to life changes.... At a point now, where I am getting closer to retirement. I don't see me staying in the New England area, thought about the warmer states or even out of the country.

Then I had an idea... Why not retire on a boat (preferably sail). The New England weather starts to turn bad, head South. The storms that hit Florida approach, head west. This way you always have your perfect (or as close to perfect) weather, just by lifting anchor and on your way.

I realize there is a lot more too it, than the above paragraph sounds like.

Having a few years minimally, before I retire.... I figured I'd get some feedback from people already doing it.
    In my view the boat can actually be the last thing on my list. I'd rather have the plan with the Where (location(s)), When (Month(s)), Why (costs, weather....) The How is Last (the decision of size, style and functionality of the boat) to accommodate the 3 W's.

Look forward to any feedback.

Take Care

Wind Chill

Greetings Wind Chill.

If I may? You're just beginning this journey and practicalities are important. I didn't catch if you were married. Spouses and partners must have input too.

The where depends entirely upon your preferences. That's not to be snarky either!
    Are you a First Class deluxe kinda sailor? Or, do you prefer a more working-man's facility?

Although I might like the fancy joints with cool amenities, if truth be told, I'm more comfortable in a laid back relaxed place with local character.

As for where said locations might be found, I could tell you for today, however TOMORROW new management might arrive. A dockmaster with an attitude, an obnoxious so-and-so who tests the boundaries of noise ordinances, etc. You might just find a spot I didn't care for and Love it.

Part of the joy of boating is in discovering new places. When you find one you particularly like, stick around for a while. If you're at a marina you'll have a power cord so electricity won't be a problem.

And when a location loses it's allure, leave. After all, you've got your home with you. Go!

I do wish you well.

There are a lot of cool books out there so visit your library and start reading. DO NOT read any of the "survive the savage seas" type of books at present. Most people are coastal no matter what they may profess to love/want.

In addition to this website ( http://liveaboard-boats.com ) try this article on my website as a starting point:
    http://janice142.com/Articles/Dreame...ter-Books.html

I love my Seaweed and am eternally grateful for the life I lead. I do congratulation you on the foresight to learn before picking out your boat. Though perhaps not the Last thing to do, buying a boat is definitely not the First item on the agenda.

Good luck sir. Perhaps some day our wakes will cross.

Oh, and brag alert. This is my home:

Comment

Hi Janice,

Thank You for the feedback, as to your question … I am single (just never seemed to work out).
      That is what is going to make it difficult, I live alone know, but can always get out somewhere and mingle.
      Kind of hard to mingle if you are between point A & B.

Comment

Hello Wind Chill. Thank you for your reply. IN many ways you and I have an advantage over others. When we look at a boat we can decide if it will work for our lifestyle, without sharing! Every bit of my boat is filled with my stuff. I don't have to share one of the dinette bench seats with a fellow. It's mine, all mine!!!

If that sounds greedy, it is. These days are my own, and frankly I like being a soloist.

What you will need as you approach the boat buying process (long in the future!) is someone who is an experienced Live-Aboard individual to offer guidance -- not a surveyor. That's another kettle of fish. You need both.

It would be advantageous to meet live-aboard folks. The weekenders and even those out for a couple weeks at a time most likely do not have their entire life/goods aboard. Unless you've got particularly deep pockets you won't have a lot of space. Those realities come into play for the life.

For instance, a neighbor is moving back aboard a boat after a dozen years ashore. He's lived on and owned live-aboard boats for over 40 years. Still, when we were together shopping for mouthwash (it's still basic stocking of the boat) I advised him to not buy the largest quantity without also buying a very small container. Like many, I have one smaller dispenser for most used items, and then "the stash" stored away.

I don't want a large container to fall, making a mess. In a house you're not concerned about the size of your purchases. I often pay MORE for a smaller quantity because i want the container. It will fit where I need it to fit. Before I had refrigeration I paid perfectly good money for $$$ (high dollar) French butter. That's because it came in a plastic container that would not mildew/go bad. Then, after I had used it, I would buy a single or double stick at a time.

Spoilage counts, at least (back then) when I had no working reefer. Since those days I was given two solar panels (another boater passed his along when he upgraded) and so now, I can run my reefer 24/7 off grid.

Anyway, I'm rambling Wind... As you continue to explore read every book you can. Take advantage of your library. Librarians are the best. I bought a lot of books from Amazon and only kept a few for my permanent library.

There are places besides bars Wind Chill. I'm a big advocate of dockside coffee shops. They have boaters and a nice atmosphere for meeting ladies too. Plus, it's a way to avoid gold diggers. The "take me to dinner" gals who are interested in wallets... You men have to be careful.

You will meet single women out here on our own boats. There are more than you might imagine though we are a decided minority. Be "that guy" who shaves, keeps his boat clean, is polite and friendly. Don't be like the fellows I wrote about in the article If the Deck Shoe Fits.

Article: http://janice142.com/Articles/IfTheDeckShoeFits.html

THough seriously, those characters are pretty easy to spot.

Marinas, especially the less formal ones, tend to have areas where other boaters gather to shoot the breeze and solve all the problems of the world. If possible visit them to get a feel for it. Unfortunately, in this day and age, many marinas are locked up behind gates. That's to keep out the nefarious however collateral damage occurs: you, and I are not able to "walk the docks" as was the norm years ago. I miss those days.

Good luck. You can do this.

Comment

who needs a library?
          you write novels of your own..... Please take that as a compliment.

Thank You

Take Care

Comment

Aw shucks... Thank you.

I am blessed Wind Chill. Few people my age have an audience. It truly is an honor. I am grateful for my readers. So thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X